Tuesday 24 January 2012

Why Blog?

I was recently reading a blog created by a Mother of Twins and I thought, maybe I should create one.  I thought this sounded very self centered to think that other people would want to read what about my life and what I have to say, but then I realized I wanted to do it as a journal to look back on and if others read it along the way, then great.  I also thought it was great to read what someone else had to say about a really difficult time and thought that if another parent of multiples could gain something from my experience then it would be worth it.

I will start with a brief background of my story and current life.

I am a mother of three children under the age of two.  Our oldest daughter will be two in March and our twins were just born in December (they are 7 weeks old right now.)

My husband and I had decided to have another child and we were fortunate enough for things to happen a lot quicker than expected.  Little did we know how big of a surprise we were in for.

We had decided to find out the gender of this child, we we opted to go to Babymoon for an ultrasound.  Our mothers and our sister in law also came with us to find out the (more exciting than expected) news.  Boy are they glad they came.  I will never forget the date, it was July 14th, 2011.  The tech started the scan and asked if I had had my ultrasound yet, I immediately thought that something was wrong, but when I looked at the screen, I thought, "Wow, that looks like two babies."  I said to her, "There aren't two are there?"  The tech responded that there were and I proceeded to say, "You're f****** kidding me."  Amidst all the excitement coming from the women at the end of the bed, I looked at Derrick and called him an a******.

I must give Derrick credit as he came right to the side of the bed and was calm with a huge smile on his face, meanwhile I was crying and freaking out about all the logistics.  I cannot imagine if I would have found out at my medical ultrasound, which I would have been going to by myself.  I don't know what I would do without him.  He has kept me from going insane throughout this whole situation.  I'm thankful that we were leaving the ultrasound to go to a Bomber game.  I'm pretty sure I would have gone home and had a massive meltdown otherwise.

Upon discovering we were having two babies and not just one, I began to think about all of the extra equipment we would need, the space in our house (the babies share a room), finances, finding daycare spots, and the big question of just how were we going to handle three little ones under the age of two?  I had begun to get used to the idea of two under two, but three was just a whole new dimension.  It was also very reassuring to know that we have a lot of friends and family members to help us out as well.  I don't know how parents of even one child, let alone multiples do it without family near by.  Before the babies were born, we were blown away by the generosity of people who were offering help or baby items.

I was fortunate to have an easy pregnancy.  Aside from being extra uncomfortable due to carrying almost 13 pounds of baby, we were all healthy.  I luckily avoided a C-section and Mara made her appearance at 4:19 am on December 5th weighing 6 lbs 2 oz and Davin arrived four minutes later weighing 6 lbs 12 oz.

And so the fun begins!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment